OpenOffice+AMD64

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Tue Aug 23 15:31:02 GMT 2005

Vladimir Dvorak wrote:
> does anybody know what is the status of OpenOffice for AMD64
> architecture ? Is possible to install OO in some chroot lib32
> environment ? Or this cause is wasting the time for now ?

Hi. I am not sure the status of it for AMD64, but I do know it requires
Java. Unfortunately there is no Java for AMD64 yet.

I found this link, but I didn't think Linux binary compatibility was
possible in the amd64 version. Every time I try to install a port that
requires Java such as Azureus on my FreeBSD/amd64 machine, it says
something like "Only for i386, and you are running amd64".

http://people.freebsd.org/~tjr/linux32.html

For an alternative, look at AbiWord for word processing and Gnumeric for
spreadsheets. I'm sure there are others as well.

-Mark