Internet firewall

Dmitry Mityugov dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 05:47:49 GMT 2005

On 8/20/05, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On 2005-08-20 09:12, Gareth Campbell <gcampbell at orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I'm a newbie and have got my box all set up with FreeBSD 5.4, fluxbox
> > wm, firefox, thunderbird etc...  It's all looking awesome, with
> > transparency, and working well.  I run it on dial-up ppp but haven't set
> > up any firewall.  Should I be setting one up?
>
> Yes, definitely.
>
> It takes about 4-5 seconds when I connect with my dialup account from
> home and then incoming connections start coming from spyware, trojans
> and misc. other scanners :-)

But it is possible to set up ppp to reject all incoming requests (with
nat deny_incoming set to yes IIRC). After that, the machine will be
"invisible" to the outside world, even if no firewalls are configured
on it. At least Shields Up! service located at
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 will tell you so.

--
Dmitry Mityugov, St. Petersburg, Russia
I ignore all messages with confidentiality statements

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"