Slow Install CD

Karol Krizka kkrizka at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 03:09:15 GMT 2005

Hi,
I managed to come accross this old Compaq Proliant server and wanted
to try it out for a personal webserver. Since I wanted to try out BSD,
I decided to go with it as the operating system. My choice distro (or
what do you call it?) was FreeBSD because I use Gentoo Linux and it's
package system is a rip-off of FreeBSD's ports. I figured that would
be the easiest transition.

Now, I am not totally sure which model the server is, but I know that
it has a 200Mhz cpu and 128 MB of RAM. Suprisingly after I booted it
up (after several tries) I saw the WinXP bootlogo and soon was at the
login screen. If it can run that, it can run almost anything! So I put
the bootonly bsd cd that I downloaded a couple of days ago and got it
to boot. That went well, exept there is a bit of a problem. The input
is veeery slow. I press a down arrow and have to wait a minute for it
to happen. There was no lag in the installed XP, so what might have
brough about it in BSD?

--
Cheers,
Karol Krizka