Where to FreeBSD Boot Manager?

Jerahmy Pocott quakenet1 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Aug 23 01:50:08 GMT 2005

On 22/08/2005, at 11:22 AM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

>     Yes, XP does have a boot manager, and I suppose I should have
> listed some available options when I originally replied to the
> email. Just thought that someone was making a split decision during
> an install and needed quick help.
>     You have a few choices:
>         1. FreeBSD boot manager
>             Pro: Can install just one boot manager out of the box
> and it takes care of detecting all of the partitions
>             Con: If you don't like FreeBSD anymore, no more boot
> manager.
>         2. GRUB
>             Pro: Plays nicely with Linux.
>             Con: Still need to install FreeBSD bootloader in the
> boot sector of the FreeBSD partition.
>         3. NT bootloader
>             Pro: Stuff's managed through XP (if you like that).
>             Con: Still need to install FreeBSD bootloader in the
> boot sector of the FreeBSD partition.

As to 3s Con, I'm not entirely sure you have to install the
bootloader.. I think you can install a standard
bootstrap, then using dd copy it and have the NT loader use it to
boot the system, removing the two
layers of boot manager..

I did this before with NT, but it was a while ago and I don't really
remember the exact steps you need
to take, but there is probably something about it you can google..

Of course using the FreeBSD manager is the much easier and simpler
option, just some people seem
to like the NT one better..