dhcpd question

Beecher Rintoul akbeech at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 01:08:17 GMT 2005

On Monday 22 August 2005 04:36 pm, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Beecher Rintoul wrote:
> >I'm working on a box that has a (legal) wireless connection to a business
> >across the street. After installing isc-dhcp to handle their inside
> > network I'm getting a lot of the following messages:
> >
> >dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:0e:35:b9:02:a4 via ndis0: network
> > 192.168.2/24: no free leases.
> >
> >Is the local server in any way interfearing with others connection to the
> >wireless access dhcp, or is this just a repeat of the broadcast request?
> > The wireless subnet is listed in dhcpd.conf with no services.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Beech
>
> Probably, your answer is "no".  From RFC 2131:
>
> "If no address is available, the server may choose to report the
> problem to the system administrator."
>
> So, best guess ... when asked, your server replies "sorry" and
> the wireless clients go on looking.  But I'm not familiar enough
> with DHCP client behavior to know *for sure*.  Seems likely,
> though, from my experience w/clients.  Surely anything else
> would violate POLA....
>
> Should be possible to muck around in /etc/syslog.conf and quiet
> the daemon down, though.
>
> Kevin Kinsey

Thanks, didn't think so. My experience with wireless is fairly limited, and
I've never seen that message before with wired networks.  There haven't been
any complaints from the access people so I'm just going to ignore it.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech at gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \