dhcpd question

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Aug 23 00:36:43 GMT 2005

Beecher Rintoul wrote:

>I'm working on a box that has a (legal) wireless connection to a business
>across the street. After installing isc-dhcp to handle their inside network
>I'm getting a lot of the following messages:
>
>dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:0e:35:b9:02:a4 via ndis0: network 192.168.2/24: no
>free leases.
>
>Is the local server in any way interfearing with others connection to the
>wireless access dhcp, or is this just a repeat of the broadcast request? The
>wireless subnet is listed in dhcpd.conf with no services.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Beech

Probably, your answer is "no".  From RFC 2131:

"If no address is available, the server may choose to report the
problem to the system administrator."

So, best guess ... when asked, your server replies "sorry" and
the wireless clients go on looking.  But I'm not familiar enough
with DHCP client behavior to know *for sure*.  Seems likely,
though, from my experience w/clients.  Surely anything else
would violate POLA....

Should be possible to muck around in /etc/syslog.conf and quiet
the daemon down, though.

Kevin Kinsey