OT: Re: WinXP administration guide for unix guru

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Tue Aug 23 00:01:18 GMT 2005

On 08/22/05 05:03 PM, Joshua Weaver sat at the `puter and typed:
> What are the symptoms that you need administrator privileges? The default
> security scheme, even with the SP2 behemoth installed, require an
> administrator or power user to install the printer, but a user can print to
> it.  Is this just a postfix or pdl printer installed with a local tcp/ip
> port or are you connecting to a shared network printer off a samba machine?
> Is the sky really blue and will I get flamed for replying to a windows
> question? Only time will tell....

I think you mean PostScript or pdf, not postfix or pdl, but the
symptoms were a simple failure to print.  It would simply pop up a
message saying it could not print to the printer.  It's been a long
time, and I gave up trying to solve it a long time ago, but basically,
I spent 8 hours on the phone with Dell support in New Dehli or where
ever it was, and spoke to 4 different people until I found someone
whose accent wasn't too thick to understand and finally gave up.  No,
I wasn't too thrilled about it, but I figured that's windows.

So, every time I see something about Windows administration, security
or otherwise, I flip through or ask about this old headache.

Sorry to have eaten so much time on this list.  Thanks to those who
have offered up pointers.  To be honest, I don't care enough to waste
much time with it.  I don't use that machine much anyway.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Rudin's Law:
  If there is a wrong way to do something, most people will do it every time.