network interface card nonresposive

Tim Holmes tim at unixtechs.org
Mon Aug 22 22:36:13 GMT 2005

| During the install Of FreeBSD 5.4 you come to the configuration of
| your NICs (I have 2 in my tower). I configured them with the basics
| (Ip, gteway, domain, exe...). I DID NOT install nfs server or client,
| dhcp,routing, or remote access.
| Onec the install was compleate I compiled firefox and the X terminal.
| If I log in as my user or as root, the browser dosn't connect. It
| seems that I have no conectivity at all to the internet or my network.
| Yes I set the cards to active, and yes there are ethernet cables
| attached. I have tested the cards and cables on a Windows os and
| everything works fine.
| What am I missing??? Is it permissions? Mabey further configuration?
| I'm going to try to set IP dynamicly but doubt I going to get results.
| I've been trying for 3 days and the fustration sent me askin
| questions. Please sombody give me some hints.
`-------------------------------------------------------------------

 It may just be that they need to be configured.  I like to just
 edit /etc/rc.conf for the second NIC.  Might look something like
 this.

 ifconfig_sis0="inet 192.168.2.254  netmask 255.255.255.0"

 Once I restart, the interface is up, and has the IP I specified.
 You can of course edit /etc/rc.conf and then bring up the second
 interface and assign an IP through ipconfig.

 Just change the inface name, in the example it would be the sis0
 string, and then provide the IP and netmask.  If you have everything
 else configured correctly, it will know to forward those packets out
 the main NIC.

 tdh

--
       \./       |     Tim Holmes  --  em at il: tim at unixtechs.org
      (0Y0)      |         UIN: 17021091  -- AIM: tdh004