bootparamd doesn't allow parameters?

Brian J. McGovern mcgovern at beta.com
Mon Aug 22 14:32:50 GMT 2005

Dan,
 > In the last episode (Aug 18), Brian J. McGovern said:
 > > 	I'm in the process of trying to set up a Solaris jumpstart
 > > server in a lab, and I decided for chuckles to do it with FreeBSD.
 > >
 > > 	The problem I'm running in to is that apparently, the Sun bootparamd
 > > allows you to pass parameters as fields, for instance, as a couple of
 > > sample fields out of the Solaris-generated /etc/bootparams (note:
 > > entry is clearly not complete, but I didn't want to distract)....
 > >
 > > 	testserver	rootopts=:rsize=32768 term=:vt100
 > >
 > > 	However, if I move this directly in to FreeBSD's /etc/bootparams, it
 > > will complain that it can not answer the request for "rootopts" from
 > > the Sun box.
 > >
 > > 	Is there something I'm missing? the man page seems to allude to
 > > the fact that all entries should be in the format of
 > > <host>:</path/to/file>. Or, am I going to have to look at finding
 > > another bootparamd than the stock one?
 >
 > The code silently fails if any host field doesn't resolve to a valid IP
 > address.  Try the attached diff, which lets your example line work for
 > me.

bootparamd is now passing the values back to the Sun box. I can't demonstrate
that the Sun box is making use of them (although NFS transfer rates are up
this morning, which may be an indication).

Thanks for the quick patch.

Now, its back to figuring out why it can't find my rules.ok file and automate
the install :)

	-Brian