WinXP administration guide for unix guru

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 22 03:45:19 GMT 2005

it was said:

>Can anyone recommend a book which explains this confusing
beast? I'm talking
>about a book which explains where things are put (equiv of
/var/mail,
>/etc/passwd, /etc/rc.conf), where application data is stored,
how printers,
>disks, etc are shared, how to book in "fixit disk" mode, how to
>backup/restore, how to configure swap space. And also questions
like why XP
>is "professional", etc.

Hello,

Assuming you're serious and not trolling, you may wish to
consider Universal Command Guide for Operating Systems, ISBN
0764548336. It claims to cross-reference "every command for
every operating system." I don't know if that's true, but I use
it from time to time, and I have yet to find an actual OS-native
command missing. The book's website is www.ucgbook.com, and it
has free samples.
As for using familiar *nix tools under Windows, MS offers
"Windows Services for UNIX 3.5" as a free download. This creates
a *nix virtual machine on the Windows box that you can use to
administer either a network system (Windows or *nix) or the
local system. Read more about it here:
www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/productinfo/features/default.mspx
(URI may have wrapped).

Regards,