Where to FreeBSD Boot Manager?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 22 01:21:33 GMT 2005

On Aug 21, 2005, at 6:10 PM, Jerahmy Pocott wrote:

> On 22/08/2005, at 12:17 AM, Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to install FreeBSD on my system which has two separate HDD
>> (each has 40GB). I am already using the first drive (e.g., C drive)
>> only for Window XP and now would like to install FreeBSD on the
>> second
>> drive (e.g., D drive).
>>
>> Which drive should I install the FreeBSD Boot Manager?
>>

> That really depends on how you want to do it..
>
> If you want the use boot manager that comes with FreeBSD you will
> need to
> install it on the primary disk (C drive)..
>
> I don't really know much about XP, but isn't it based on NT? The NT
> system
> also has its own boot manager which you could use instead.. But XP
> might
> not have it..

     Yes, XP does have a boot manager, and I suppose I should have
listed some available options when I originally replied to the email.
Just thought that someone was making a split decision during an
install and needed quick help.
     You have a few choices:
         1. FreeBSD boot manager
             Pro: Can install just one boot manager out of the box
and it takes care of detecting all of the partitions
             Con: If you don't like FreeBSD anymore, no more boot
manager.
         2. GRUB
             Pro: Plays nicely with Linux.
             Con: Still need to install FreeBSD bootloader in the
boot sector of the FreeBSD partition.
         3. NT bootloader
             Pro: Stuff's managed through XP (if you like that).
             Con: Still need to install FreeBSD bootloader in the
boot sector of the FreeBSD partition.
     There's also LILO with a similar argument to grub, but anytime
your Windows partition changes, you have to reinstall LILO. Also, the
NTLoader option doesn't play nice with Linux upgrades if you might
use Linux in tandem with FreeBSD in the future.
     Just some thoughts...
-Garrett