OT: Re: WinXP administration guide for unix guru

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sun Aug 21 14:27:19 GMT 2005

Andrew L. Gould wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 04:17:03 -0400
>Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD at keyslapper.net> wrote:
>

>>On 08/20/05 11:23 PM, Andrew L. Gould sat at the `puter and typed:

>>>There are lots of WinXP administration books in the bookstores.
>>>Although there are several books for Windows users moving to Unix,
>>>I've not seen one for the other direction.
>>>
>>>There is an O'Reilly book called "Windows XP Annoyances for
>>>Geeks".  It may not help; but at least it has a cool title.  ;-)
>>>

>>Does it tell you why XP requires any user wishing to print to a
>>network printer must have administrator privileges?
>>
>>Stupid XP.
>>
>>Lou
>>--
>>Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
>>Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
>>Please send off-list email to:         leblanc at keyslapper d.t net
>>Key fingerprint = C5E7 4762 F071 CE3B ED51  4FB8 AF85 A2FE 80C8 D9A2
>>

>Probably not.  I have normal WinXP users here at home printing to
>printers on a Hawking print server using IPP.
>
>Andrew Gould

    Have fun and good luck Kent. Many of the resources for administering
Windows machines is more difficult as the resources are more obscure
than for Unix. Granted, a lot of the stuff comes easily as it's
ascessible via preexisting menus, shortcuts and so forth, so you don't
have to venture too far for a lot of the important things. However,
there are quite a few-more difficult to search for-command line commands
which you can use with greater power to accomplish what you need to do
as an admin. Google and outside books are your friend in this case
(especially the Riley ones I think since they produce a lot of books on
the subject).
    Be happy though that you aren't in charge of an actual Windows
server product with a domain though, because those are increasingly more
difficult to learn because of all of the little tools and junk that are
present, a lot of them command line based. That's why the MSCE
certification exists.
-Garrett