Security warning with sshd

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 10:07:48 GMT 2005

On 8/21/05, Remko Lodder <remko at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Pat Maddox wrote:
> > In my recent security email, I got the following errors:
> > cantona.dnswatchdog.com login failures:
> > Aug 20 02:37:19 cantona sshd[9444]: fatal: Write failed: Operation not permitted
> > Aug 20 04:30:42 cantona sshd[16142]: fatal: Write failed: Operation
> > not permitted
> > Aug 20 21:21:51 cantona sshd[45716]: fatal: Write failed: Operation
> > not permitted
> >
> > So three questions: What is it?  Should I be worried?  How can I fix it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Pat
>
> A couple of messages that i read when searching through google
> appear to indicate that it might rely on your firewall, bad
> packets that are not in state anymore and such and then gets
> blocked by your firewall.
>
> Could you provide some more details of events happening around
> the same time of the messages you posted here? Perhaps something
> else precedes the message which gives more information on what
> might have happened...
>
> Url with some information:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2005-August/001337.html
> (and related messages)
>
> Cheers,
> Remko
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
>       Remko Lodder               ** remko at elvandar.org
>       FreeBSD                    ** remko at FreeBSD.org
>       Reporter DSINET            ** remko at DSINet.org

I don't know what exactly was happening, but after looking at that
link my guess is that it occurred when I enabled the firewall.  If I'm
logged in and enable it, my ssh connection is dropped...except I don't
get disconnected, the ssh connection is simply unresponsive.  Which
makes sense since the firewall just went up.  But maybe that's part of
the problem?