What's the best way to set up an ASCII and HTML maillist list?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sun Aug 21 07:09:28 GMT 2005

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 12:10:32AM -0600, Danny MacMillan wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >	oUtstanding!  Thanks, you've cleared up a lot other
> >	questions.  I do have the mailman port working for my
> >	library/writing group, but MIME (ick), blackbox.
> >	Just one more thing, David, that you may know of--
> >	if not, then somebody else on the list.   Can I
> >	include a small graphic ("IMG SRC="sartre.jpg")
> >	in the html mail?  When people email photos I have
> >	to quit mutt, bring up evolution and then click on
> >	some display icon.  What I'd like to do is have the
> >	icon "just-appear" at top or bottom of message.
> >	No mouse-clickng required.  If the user//receient
> >	has to click to see my icon/picture/graphic, I'll
> >	drop it :)
> >
> >	gary
> >
> That's MIME, too.  multipart/related.  Send yourself an email that looks
> like what you want from a client that supports this functionality
> (Outlook, Outlook Express, and Thunderbird all work for this, probably
> others, too) and look at the message source on the target system to see
> how it works.

	Well, I gave up on using metasend with it's myriad switches
	and tried from the cmdline.  Closer.  Still, no cigar.
	I typed "text/html" wheen it asked for "Content-type".
	That gave me the bold "test" from /tmp/test:

test

<b>test </b>

	(Actually, in evoluton it was "test *test*".)

	What I want is for non-GUI mailers like mutt and Mail to
	seee

	^test

	and in the graphic/html mailers:

	*test*

	where the astarisks indicate a bold font.  I triied
	"multipart/mixed" annd other things "multipart/<>",
	but it doesn't quite work... .

	I have seen the raw message source from the multipart
	mail that many people sentf me.  I simply don't know how to
	recreate this.  --Things like:

	Maybe metasend is smart enough to accept
	"multipart/alternatve"; boundary="xyz"

	Otherwise, I'm stumped.

	gary

--