problems mounting a DVD

David Syphers dsyphers at u.washington.edu
Sun Aug 21 04:32:41 GMT 2005

On Saturday 20 August 2005 06:32 pm, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> David Syphers wrote:

> >>What does dmesg show at bootup ?
> >
> >I should have mentioned:
> >
> >acd1: DVDROM <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1502/1816> at ata1-slave UDMA33
> >
> >and
> >
> >FreeBSD yggdrasil.seektruth.org 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Wed Jul
> > 27 20:38:09 PDT 2005
> >root at yggdrasil.seektruth.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/YGGDRASIL  i386
> >
>     DVD movies do not need to be mounted; only data DVDs.

Right, which is why I thought the problem is with file systems rather than the
drive.

>     Also, the majority of data DVDs are in UDF format, so make sure that you
>  can mount UDF files.

I should be able to. As I said, I'm running 5-STABLE, which has mount_udf.

>     See if you can increase the verbosity of the mount at all.

yggdrasil# mount_udf -v /dev/acd1 /cdrom1
mount_udf: /dev/acd1: Device busy
yggdrasil# mount_udf -v /dev/acd1 /cdrom1
mount_udf: /dev/acd1: Input/output error

It doesn't seem so, unfortunately. Are there tricks to get more verbosity?

When I first put the disc in the access light flashes on and off for a while,
and I get the 'Device busy' error during this time. After a while the access
light just stays on and I get the I/O error. (With a CD or movie DVD, the
access light will flash and then turn off until something is mounted/played.)

-David

--
"What's the good of having mastery over
cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of