FireFox & Thunderbird Hand on 5.4-RELEASE when dealing with files

Philip M. Gollucci pgollucci at p6m7g8.com
Sun Aug 21 03:26:58 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I've got a stock version of 5.4-RELEASE installed from the CDs using the
GENERIC kernel.

uname -a
5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Sun May  8 10:21:06 UTC 2005
root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

I've tried both the prebuilt package version of firefox and the lastest
port version.

port version: 1.0.6
	Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; FreeBSD i386; en-US; rv:1.7.10)
	Gecko/20050815

I've only tried the package version for thunderbird.
pkg version: 1.0.2 (20050404)

I read somewhere that this is due to NFS mounted file systems and stat
calls.  I unmounted all but / /usr /tmp and /var which are all local.
I unistalled _ALL_ extensions for firefox and thunderbird.

So basically when ever I click a link in Firefox that is a download or
view an email with attachments in thunderbird, they both hang in state
kserel at least according to top. To the point that I have to crash or
kill -9 them.

I don't get this on a 7.0-current system w/ custom kernel I have, but I
don't know how much I can compare the too.

I'ved tried strace, ptrace, truss, trace, and ktrace/kdump.  None of
them show anything useful.

Here is a ls /var/db/pkg [attached] not that I think its related to
other packages.  Yes, I know I have a lot installed.

Thanks in advance.

--
END
                 Nothing is impossible.