Forcing symbol resolution in lib rather than bin

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Fri Aug 19 20:19:51 GMT 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 11:14:40PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
: > Doesn't ld *statically* link code from .a archives?
:
: 'statically' is such an overloaded term I prefer to avoid using it.
:
: The C linker will include the body of functions defined in non-shared
: libraries into every shared object that references them, AFAIK.  This is
: obvious if you run nm(1) on libbar.so of the example above, because the
: libfoo_init() function is listed as 'T'.  I think that's what you want
: by making the libfoo.a library non-shared in the first place.

I can see from nm(1) that the function I want is there ('T').  And reading
about ld(1) talks about the '-(' option for searching the .a archives until
there are no unresolved symbols.  But it still doesn't find mine unless I
link it with the binary, not the calling shared object.

Jonathon McKitrick
--
Hoppiness is a good beer.