HOW to boot off the 5.4-Release CD with a different kernel that supports more hardware

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Fri Aug 19 14:06:38 GMT 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:39:37 -0400 (EDT)
Ricky <delacx86 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   The default 5.4 kernel does include the MK-III
> patches from Soren as the 6.0 default Kernel does.  I
> have problems installing the 5.4 Release on my system
> because I am missing these patches.  I have tried
> burning a cd while replacing the kernel with a
> recompiled one but apparently the mfsroot.flp is not
> well updated against the new kernel.  I am relatively
> new to FreeBSD and don`t understand well the exact
> booting process even after some readings on forums and
> web sites.  Could a gentle someone explain how the
> modify the original 5.4 Iso and replace the stock
> kernel ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.
>
> P.S.
>
> If I am not in the right mailing-list for this or if
> question is of too low degree, please simply disregard
> the post.

Would making a "release" from STABLE or CURRENT branches solve your
problem? I've never done it with FreeBSD; but I found the following
documentation, which may be helpful:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/release-build.html

Good luck,

Andrew Gould