Encrypted filesystem cgd

Daniel Marsh daniel at stiw.org
Fri Aug 19 00:07:24 GMT 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:26:44 +0800, vittorio <vdemart1 at tin.it> wrote:

> I've been reading with interest in Dru Lavigne's "BSD Hacks" of an
> encrypted
> filesystem named cgd which at the time of her writing was included in
> NetBSD
> only.
>
> has cgd  been ported in FreeBSD (doesn't seem to me)?

It's possible, and if it hasn't been done it mightn't be far off.

> OR
>
> Is there anything similar in FreeBSD?

There certainly is. In the past I have used GEOM Based Disk Encryption
(GBDE), because my computer had already been partitioned I used GBDE in
combination with mdconfig (created a 2g file with dd, used mdconfig to
configure it as a device, then ran disklabel and newfs on the md and set
it up with GBDE). This was using 5.1 at the time and it ran extremely
well, the only problem I ever encountered was when copying several hundred
megabytes of data to the encrypted disk, it would then cause the whole
computer to lock up, this could have been because of the use of mdconfig
or my laptop being dodgy.

> Ciao
> Vittorio

Daniel