blanking DVD+RW

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Aug 18 15:15:25 GMT 2005

Claudio Discepola wrote:
>   I have a quick question about blanking a DVD+RW.  It seems that even
> after I run the "growisofs -Z /dev/cd0=/dev/zero" command the "Disc
> status" is still seen as "complete" instead of "blank".

Simply using dvd+rw-format doesn't erase all of the previous contents of the
DVD, whereas overwriting with zeros as you've done will obscure the old data
reasonably well.

There is a difference between a disk which has never been written to, and a
disk which has been written full of zeros.  Note that someone with the right
forensics technology probably could read a zeroed DVD, the same way you can
read most of the data from a hard drive even after a single erasure pass.

--
-Chuck