Stable server

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 09:44:38 GMT 2005

On 8/17/05, Dmitry Mityugov <dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/17/05, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > 4.11 is solid, hasn't shown any problems here. 5.4 is the best of the 5.x
> > > series but we (I mean at my company, not speaking as a FreeBSD rep)
> > > haven't put it through as much stress as we have 4.11
> >
> > 4.x compared to 5.x will always be more stable
> > 5.x compared to 6.x will always be more stable
> > 6.x compared to 7.x will al....
> >
> > Do you see a trend? 4.x works now but what about in another year, two
> > years, or three? Try running the last version of 3.x on today's
> > hardware and software, 4.x is already having problems with hardware
> > support. FreeBSD 6 already has a -STABLE and it's first release is
> > just around the corner, It would be unwise to deploy 4.x unless
> > specifically needed.... If you need to build the next Mars rover or a
> > persons life depends on the system working then use 4.x, If your
> > deploying a new web server or what not you want 5.x, possibly even 6.x
> > if you can wait another month or two.
>
> Another month or two?? Are you a pessimist, or do you just know
> something I don't know? :-) This page
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.0R/schedule.html says TBD, but I
> didn't even imagine the delay could be *that* big.

I've been running 6.x on my main desktop since the announce of BETA1
and I think it's ready now! but realistically it's at least a month
off schedule based on the schedule you pointed to. BETA1 (15 Jul 2005)
to BETA2 (5 Aug 2005) = 21 days. That number, 21days, sounds about
right for release testing... so if we use that BETA3 should roll
around on the 27th and RC1 on the 17th of September, so some time next
month FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE will (should) be here. I don't have any
insider info, just experince from past releases.

Mañana, the motto for the release engineering team. :-)