fstab and bad hard drives

Brian Clark clark at essociate.com
Wed Aug 17 08:19:05 GMT 2005

I searched and looked through the man pages and was unable to find any information on this. My question is, is there a way to make freebsd boot if it has problems mounting a hard drive listed in fstab? With NFS drives I use 'bg' so the system will continue to boot if the NFS drive is down or unavailable. I would prefer if a hard drive on the system was to stop working that the system would still boot and not hang in single user mode. This is for remote servers that are about 2 hours away and have had several instances where an extra drive on the system failed which caused the system to not reboot correctly... so then i have to drive down manually edit the fstab, (remove the entry) reboot and all is fine. In an ideal world, if the system reboots and an extra drive fails to mount then the system skips it and continues to load without the bad drive. Any ideas? I was considering noauto and have an rc.d script mount them but not for sure if it would still hang the system.

Thanks in advance,

Brian