i can't block win98 computers

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 15 21:17:14 GMT 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 11:28:10PM +0300, vladone wrote:
> Hi!
> I try to block some computers to acces my gateway based on MAC
> address.
> I use this ipfw rule:
>   ipfw add 100 deny mac any xx:yy:aa:bb:cc:dd in via $private_interface
> With this i can block XP computers but not work with Win98. I dont
> understand what is happened!

As the ipfw manpage states, you can filter on layer-2 header fields (of
which the MAC address is one) _where available_.

It could be that Win98 doesn't correctly list the MAC address in the
packets. You could try using tcpdump to check the packets.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt