PowerChute && FreeBSD 5.4 / 6.0

Brad Voth brad at bvoth.homeunix.org
Mon Aug 15 21:13:30 GMT 2005

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:23:46 +0200
From: guru at Sisis.de (Matthias Apitz)
Subject: PowerChute && FreeBSD 5.4 / 6.0
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>Hello,
>In our rack we have a APC Smart-UPS RT 5000 and in most of
>the Linux servers we use some java-based daemon 'PowerChute'; the
>daemon on each server creats LISTEN in TCP/3052 and UDP/3052
>and the Smart-UPS does UDP broadcasts on this port; this is
>all I can see with tcpdump.
>
>PowerChute does not support FreeBSD (only Solaris, Linux, ...)
>and even if it would support FreeBSD I'm not willing to install
>all the java stuff on it because the system will be used as
>firewall.
>
>Is there somehow a small client for this TCP/UDP protocol?
>
>Thx in advance
>
>	matthias
>--
>Matthias Apitz / Sisis Informationssysteme GmbH
>Gruenwalder Weg 28g / D-82041 Oberhaching
>Fon: ++49 89 / 61308-351, Fax: -399, Mobile ++49 170 4527211
>http://www.sisis.de/~guru/

I've never used the PowerChute application, but I do use apcupsd
for all of my APC upses and it works great.  It is ported from linux to
Freebsd so if you're willing to convert all of them over it would work
great.
But I'm not sure that it will interact with the apcupsd software.

Brad Voth
Systems Administrator
Information Systems
574-647-6816