Mounting on da0s1c or da0s1d?

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Sun Aug 14 21:47:42 GMT 2005

At 02:16 PM 8/14/2005, Joachim Dagerot wrote:

> >From my Vinum period I recall that mounting should be done on d, not c
> or whatever it was. Today I'm running a hardware IDE RAID and though I
> read the handbook I can't find any recommendation on where to mount.
>
>Any help is appreciated.

The 'c' partition represents the entire disk (or slice), if you're creating
a partition to cover the entire disk/slice you can use 'c' but certain
utilities will complain.

If you label the disk, and then examine the resulting label, you'll
typically have an 'a' partition and a 'c' partition.  The 'a' partition
will default to the whole disk.  Something like this:

test54# bsdlabel /dev/ad6
# /dev/ad6:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
   a: 156301472       16    4.2BSD     2048 16384 28552
   c: 156301488        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit

You can newfs the 'a' partition and you're all set.  If you want to have
more than one partition on that disk/slice, then you'll have to create the
others yourself.

-Glenn