XTerm fvwm2 Xorg

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 14 08:25:50 GMT 2005

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 01:54:05AM +0100, Charles Smyth wrote:

> I'm trying out fvwm2 on a FreeBSD 5.4 box with Xorg The XTerm uses a
> small font as default. How can the font be made larger, and how can
> the XTerm window be made larger by default.

You could use options on the command line to change these, but it's
probably more convenient to use put some resource lines in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources or ~/.Xresources.

For example, these are the resources for xterm that I use:

! for xterm
XTerm*foreground: white
XTerm*background: #010040
XTerm*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-iso8859-15
XTerm*title: Shell
XTerm*loginShell: True
XTerm*scrollBar: False
XTerm*saveLines: 0
XTerm*ttyModes: erase ^H
XTerm*translations: #override \
        Home:      string("\033[1~") \n\
        Delete:    string("\033[3~") \n\
        End:       string("\033[4~")

Lines starting with a "!" are comments.

You can set the size of an xterm with the geometry resource:
'XTerm*geometry: 80x40' where the size (width x height) is given in
characters. This resource belongs to a vt102 window inside the xterm
window. So do not use 'XTerm.geometry', because that belongs to the top
level xterm window, and takes sizes in pixels.

By running the program xlsfonts, you get a list of all the available
fonts on your system. With xfontsel you can interactively select a font.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt