Alcatel Speedtouch PC ADSL Modem

Bsderss snort_sam at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 14 06:21:50 GMT 2005

--- Vladimir Botka <vlado at botka.homeunix.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am running Speedtouch 510i, which is defacto
> router with some small unix
> system inside. You can login with telnet and
> configure it from command
> line or use the web interface or load the
> configuration file. I dont
> think that USB and pppoa is here the best choice.
> You just connect the
> Speedtouch to the ADSL and use the Speedtouch
> ethernet to connect it to
> your LAN. Cheers, Vladimir.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Is this a normal DSL
Modem with an ethernet at its back connect to your
desktop or an router? How much did you pay for it? If
it is cheap enuf, I think it is worth to get it as a
standalone DSL  modem.

The reason I want to install freebsd in one of these
DSL modem is because here in Australia ISPs do not
lease out their DSL modem to end user. User will end
up purchase expensive crapy DSL Modem (eg. Netgear)
from computer shop.

As I have a freebsd gateway used to dail-up pppoe thru
an external DSL modem when I was in another country, I
want to reconfigure this freebsd router to make it
able to handle DSL modem communication. But I need to
purchase a DSL modem card for it. If an external DSL
modem like Speedtouch is cheap enuf and provide stable
system enviornment in the DSL Bridge mode, I would
like to purchase one as an external DSL modem.

On the other hand, if you know how to configure
freebsd with a DSL Modem card in freebsd, please let
me know how to do that. And if you also know where to
purchase a barebone DSL Modem (without a system) for
development  purpose (eg. Speedtouch), please also let
me know.

Thanks
Sam