Asking the experts. . .

Bryan Maynard bryan.maynard at reallm.com
Sat Aug 13 17:36:52 GMT 2005

I'm setting up a web/mail/source coude server for my open source project
and am using FreeBSD.

My first concern is security. I read through the appropriate area of the
Handbook and really enjoyed it. However, I do not know what suid, guid,
and the like are. I've look up the man pages, but am still confused. It
seems like the suid bit means that only the file owner can execute the
file. Is this true? Also, does anyone have any security tips? I am new
to all this and so am looking for as much info as possible. I would
like to get a (few) book(s) on FreeBSD and security - any
recommendations?

My second concern is performance. I read the tuning man page and was a
little confused. Could anyone help me with this? Reasources and/or
advice would be great.

I am using Apache/PHP/MySQL, eGroupWare, and SubVersion so far. I also
need an email server. I will need mailing lists. I would like to
support IMAP, but am unfamiliar with it. I understand POP3 as I have
dealt with it for a while. What are the tradeoffs and/or advantages of
IMAP? I know IMAP is supposed to be "newer" and "better", but how? In
addition to mailing lists, contributors will also get e-mail addresses
for the project. I'd like to use ClamAV for e-mail virus protection -
but need some pointers for installation and configuration.

Right now I am running FreeBSD 5.4, Apache 2.0.54, MySQL 4.1, and
eGroupWare 1.0.0.008.

Thanks is advance :-)

Bryan
--
Open Source: by the people, for the people.