multiport serial reccomendations?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Sat Aug 13 01:07:23 GMT 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:14:22 -0700, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm looking to build a nanny box to provide maintenance services to my
>servers.  One of these services ought to be serial console access.  I've
>currently got an old Cyclades box in service, but I'm curious to just
>sport a multiport serial card and run conserver directly on the nanny
>box.

If you need more than 8, sometimes its cheaper to go with a surplus
PM25. (See www.portmasters.com).  We use quite a few lava cards, but
only the 4 port variety.    Other option that might work for you are
USB cards.  I have used ones based on the uftdi driver and they seem
to work well in RELENG_5 and above.

Take a look at the PUC driver source code to see what is supported
first.

	---Mike