IPv6 site local EUI-64 adresses and jails

Michael W. Oliver michael at gargantuan.com
Fri Aug 12 20:48:18 GMT 2005

On 2005-08-12T21:03:35+0200, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> Am Freitag, 12. August 2005 20:53 CEST schrieb Emanuel Strobl:
>> Hi all,

>> I'm quiet new to IPv6 so I'd like to ask some questions:

>> So far I know how to generate s site-local address on basis of the MAC
>> address of the interface. That's what FreeBSD does itself for INET6
>> enabled kernels.
>
> Ok, here I found my first error, it's in fact a link-local addres, no
> site-local. If I need a site-local, is it correct to just assign it
> another (almost similar) address, or should I disable link-local
> autogeneration?

Don't disable link-local address auto-generation.  You can assign your
own addresses, based on the /48 you have been given by your provider or
tunnel broker.  Something like this....

ifconfig fxp0 inet6 3ffe:dead:beef:cafe::/64 eui64 alias

That is only if you want to use auto-configured host addresses based on
the (IHMO) wasteful EUI64 junk... topic for another thread (and list,
probably!).  There are lots of differing opinions about the usefulness
of EUI64-based auto-config.

--
Mike Oliver
[see complete headers for contact information]