IPv6 site local EUI-64 adresses and jails

Emanuel Strobl Emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Fri Aug 12 18:53:36 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I'm quiet new to IPv6 so I'd like to ask some questions:

So far I know how to generate s site-local address on basis of the MAC
address of the interface. That's what FreeBSD does itself for INET6
enabled kernels.
Now in the 24-16-24 scheme of th interface id part of the IPv6 address, the
16 bits were inserted with the value FFFE. And bit 57 was changed to one!
Why???? What if it is alread one? Or isn't tehre any vendor who can have
bit 41 of his MAC 1?
Now I want to use a dedicated interface, which is in a different subnet,
for 5 jails. How do I do that if I want to keep the MAC relation and if
I'm not allewd to change the FFFE insert? It isn't possible then, is it?
What should I do instead? Invent my own 64-bit scheme?

I hope you understand my questions, thanks a lot in advance,

-Harr