differences in supported filesystems between FreeBSD versions

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Fri Aug 12 17:27:35 GMT 2005

Dmitry Mityugov <dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com> writes:

> I am not sure how safe it is. Is it safe to use a HDD partitioned and
> formatted by one version of FreeBSD with a newer version? I know there

I recently ran into the problem of not being able to access 5.x file
systems and 5.x backups from a 4.x system. (5.2+ and 4.7 & 4.8, IIRC.)

(I got a new amd64 computer that wouldn't boot 5.x from the old hard
drives because I no longer had a GENERIC or other compatible kernel
and I had no Internet access or 5.x CDROM.  I could run 4.x, but it
couldn't mount 5.x partitions or even "restore" 5.x dump backups.  Had
to go back to an old 4.x backup until I got back on the Internet and
got 5.x going.)