Problem with Seagate hdd

Jim Campbell jim-c at charter.net
Fri Aug 12 01:35:51 GMT 2005

Efren Bravo wrote:

> When the installer start it raise this error:
>
> ata0-master: Failure - ATA-IDENTIFY timed out
>
> thanks...

I have experienced the same error message for every release I
have tried since FreeBSD 4.11.  I have concluded that my
particular VIA controller on the system board isn't supported
by later releases.  (I have tried more than one brand of HD and
they all behave the same.)

In correspondence earlier with Soren, he stated that my
particular controller is supported by later releases, but it just
doesn't work.

On the positive side, 4.11 is serving admirably for my
purposes.

Jim Campbell