Any suggestions for a MTA for a new admin?

Derrick MacPherson dmacpherson at mainframe.ca
Thu Aug 11 23:41:49 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 17:40 -0400, Tom Norris wrote:
> I have finally made the jump from paying people to host my websites to
> doing it myself (setting up apache, perl, php, postgresql, and all that
> fun stuff.)  Now I want to migrate my e-mail addresses over to a FreeBSD
> 4.11 machine that lives in a data center.  Can any of you recommend a
> good MTA (and maybe a book) for someone that knows relatively few things
> about the big scary world of e-mail transport?
>
> Just to throw it out there, one of the things I need to do is to have
> the MTA route mail for a few different domains that are pointed towards
> the machine on different ip addresses.  Is that possible?

Exim rocks I've used it for about 8 years.. Postfix is excellent I've
looked at it and it seems pretty easy to work with, I think some may
like it better as it can be administered through webmin (exim you
can't), especially if you want to give some admin privileges. Sendmail's
configuration is not trivial.

I much prefer using Maildir to store mail, works much better when
dealing with a lot of users with a lot of mail.