fsck says "UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY"

Jerahmy Pocott quakenet1 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Aug 11 05:05:10 GMT 2005

Hello everyone,

After a server lost power unexpectedly (read: someone pulled the plug
out), on reboot
the automatic fsck failed with "UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY" as
the message. Running fsck interactively doesn't seem to be able to
fix it..

Every time in phase one it says:

CANNOT READ: BLK 66322496
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CONTINUE? [yn]  <press y>

THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 66322510,

and the file system is marked as dirty still.. It isn't the root
partition or anything,
so I can boot the system and mount it read only but I can't repair
the damage..

Any ideas on what I could try to fix this?

Thanks!