xorg crashing with kde

Ian Moore no-spam at swiftdsl.com.au
Wed Aug 10 22:12:18 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 22:25, RW wrote:
> Since the kde update went into ports about a week ago, I've been having a
> problem with xorg crashing.
>
> The problem occurs when a kde session is left in the "background" by a
> switch to either another x-server or to a virtual terminal, and it's left
> there long enough for the monitor standby timer to expire. The crash
> actually happens on switching back to the kde session.
>
> According to the system console the crash follows a stray irq13, and the
> xorg log indicates it died with signal 8. I cant find any other relevent
> logging. I installed xscreensaver  to see if it could be reproduced under
> xfce, and it couldn't. I can work around the problem  by turning off
> display power management in kde.

This is a bit of a stab in the dark, but perhaps re-building your xorg-server
port might fix it. When I update my xserver, I have to rebuild my nvidia
driver or x will crash when any opengl app runs.
So in your case, it may be some part of X causeing the crash.
I'm running kde & haven't had that problem though.
--
Ian
gpg key: http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~imoore/no-spam.asc