(also 5.4) re: Abort Trap for cron-jobs in 5.3

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Aug 10 17:34:39 GMT 2005

a few months ago the following appeared  in -stable

"
In the last episode (Mar 15), Niklas Saers said:
 > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Niklas Saers wrote:
 > > I've got four servers that all have the same problem: when jobs get
 > > started from Cron, they die after some time with an "Abort trap".
 > > Jobs that are dying are:
 > >
 > > /usr/libexec/atrun >> /var/log/cron 2>&1 /usr/bin/nice -10 /usr/
local/bin/zsh /root/bin/sendBarkMail.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

 > > I also get this on virtually every shell-script that uses tar,
leaving my
 > > filesystem littered with bsdtar.core files.
 > >
 > > Running these jobs from the command prompt works fine. Any
suggestions on
 > > what may be causing them to die from cron? sendBarkMail.sh
simply moves
 > > mails from one folder to another periodically
 >
 > Note to self: ask the question. ;-)
 >
 > What I'm wondering about is: what could be causing the Abort Trap's?
 >
 > World and kernel are a recent RELENG_5_3 compiled like described in
 > src/UPDATING.

What's the stack trace from one of those cores?

Also, try not redirecting stdout and stderr to /dev/null; you are
probably discarding a valuable error message.

--
         Dan Nelson
         dnelson at allantgroup.com
"

I saw the same thing in 5.3 and newly upgraded to 5.4 and it is still
happening.  It seems to happen randomly.  There is no output or error
redirection  and nothing useful in the output/error stream that I can
see.  Mostly inside of jails.

> To: william at xxxxxxx.com
> From: Cron Daemon <root at xxxxxxx.com>
> Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:55:04 -0400