sorry for the idiot question, but....

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Wed Aug 10 07:07:24 GMT 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 11:29:20PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Folks,
>
> 	*Which* ports do I need to install to get Gnome and KDE
> 	working?  On my laptop (w/ omly 12G of disk) I may not have
> 	nough room; but on my main server I should have plenty.
>
> 	I have installed the x11/gnome2 and the x11/kde uberportscripts;
> 	no joy.  What gives?

Well that should be enough; I don't know about KDE but as for GNOME
you can simply turn on the knob

gdm_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf and then execute

/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh start

Note: only do this after you configured X to work right; GDM starts X
as part of a graphical login screen.

There is a way to start gnome using the 'startx' method but I don't
know it.

HTH,

--Stijn

		-- Mahatma Ghandi