UDF and CD-RW

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 9 17:15:54 GMT 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 05:11:01PM +0200, Laszlo Nagy wrote:

> >Looking at the port makefile, one of the programs that is installed is
> >called cdrw_format. Maybe you should try that.
> >
> >Roland
> >

> Looks like it is the right program. But it does not work. I have
> ide-scsi emulation enabled on my CDRW drive, so it is named /dev/cd0. I
> have a blank disc in the drive (created with "cdrecord speed=4 -v
> blank=fast").
> Here are the results:
<snip>
> Formatting.... (please be patient (+/- 10 minutes)) ...SCSI command
> error on /dev/cd0: Status=0x8c
> Sense data: Key=0x0 () Code=0x0 Qual=0x0
> format unit returned : Bad address
> fail
> Formatting failed because of : Bad address
> Disc access statistics
>        sector reads          0  (0 Kbyte)
>        sector written        0  (0 Kbyte)
>        switches              0

When I try it with my -ide-scsi emulation setup I get the same error,
but different sense data:

Formatting.... (please be patient (+/- 10 minutes)) ...SCSI command
error on /dev/cd1: Status=0x8c
Sense data: Key=0x6 () Code=0x29 Qual=0x0
format unit returned : Bad address

I've looked at the source for cdrw_format, but couldn't find anything
obviously wrong with it.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.