NIS problems on FreeBSD 5.4

Jeremy Utley lfsjeremy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 23:51:04 GMT 2005

Greetings all!

I'm trying to use FreeBSD 5.4 as an NIS client, and am encountering
problems.  I've followed the instructions given in the FreeBSD docs
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-nis.html)
successfully, but the system does not recognize my NIS users.

Running ypcat passwd shows expected output:

freebsd5# ypcat passwd
Administrator:Lav79IkYtvC3g:0:0::/root:/bin/bash
jeremy:iZ45wDaonJWpA:500:100::/home/jeremy:/bin/bash
test:vXiHWkO7dsBl.:501:100::/home/test:/bin/bash

However, when I try to login as any of these 3 users, it rejects the
login - even using the "id" command fails:

freebsd5# id jeremy
id: jeremy: no such user

Can anyone give me some insight on why this is happening.  A RedHat EL
4 installation connected to the same NIS domain works perfectly.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Jeremy