freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 106, Issue 18

Daniel Sammut danielsammut74 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 08:26:08 GMT 2005

> On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 20:24 +0000,
> freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 05:01:40PM +0400, Daniel Sammut wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am fairly new to FreeBSD having only used it for about a month. I am
> > > using FreeBSD 5.4 release.
> > >
> > > I have recently got round to setting up amd. I followed the instructions
> > > to do this on a website I found -
> > > http://renaud.waldura.com/doc/freebsd/automounting.txt
> > >

> > > After following the instructions, and rebooting the machine, I notice
> > > that my logs give these messages:
> > >

> > > nfs send error 49 for server pid357 at freya:/host
> > > nfs server pid357 at freya:/host: not responding
> > >

> > > and typing "amq" gives this message:
> > >
> > > amq: localhost: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send
> > >

> > > I double checked my setup of amd, and that I followed the instructions
> > > exactly. Everything seems correct.
> > >
> > > I have actually set up amd successfully using the same instructions on
> > > another computer on which I installed FreeBSD 5.4.
> > >
> > > What do you think the problem could be?
> > >

> > Are your trying to automount an NFS server? Are you sure you have /etc/exports
> > set up correctly on the NFS server to allow access from the client in question?
> >
> > -Jason

Hi Jason,

No, I am not trying to automount an NFS server. I am only trying to
automount the cdrom and floppy drives.

I have successfully set up NFS between the problem computer (server) and
a laptop. I did have problems setting up NFS as I had to manually start
nfsd despite having nfs_server_enable="YES" in my rc.config In the end I
had to insert the line nfsd_enable="YES" in rc.config which I thought
was strange as this is not documented anywhere else. Using this method,
nfs works but amd does not despite following the howto mentioned in the
link in my previous post.

This computer is a family machine so I need to make it as simple as
possible to use, hence the need for amd!

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks