How to recover data? - Formatted, Fdisk'd, and disklabeled ad1, now ad0 with FreeBSD is messed up

Ruben Bloemgarten ruben at bloemgarten.demon.nl
Mon Aug 8 02:41:04 GMT 2005

Hi Mark,
On disk ad1 you have one slice ad1s1 which has one partition ad1s1d,
mount this
# mount /dev/ad1s1d /mnt
Now check the size of the partition :

#df -h

If the size of this partition is equal to the size of your drive you just
used the entire drive for that one partition. If it's not you did not finish
labeling the remainder of the slice

I'm assuming that FBSD is installed on your other disk ad0 where you have
one slice ad0s1 and 5 partitions a,b,d,e,f, which I assume are /, swap, var,
usr and home respectively.

You cannot mount a slice directly.

A "c" partition is generated automatically and contains the entire slice.
This is not to be accessed directly.

".snap" is a directory created for the dump/restore utility the mksnap_fs in
particular. It is used for live snapshots of the file system. It should be
there and if that's all there is . . . that's all there is.

Now, for a total picture, I hope, it seems that you installed FBSD on ad0s1*
and newfs'd/disklabel ad1s1* hoping to later mount this and get y'r data on
there. If FBSD is not booting I assume you did not install any type of boot
manager.

The big mystery to me here is this : you say you

1. you backed up the content of you 60 GB NTFS drive to your 160GB drive
(which I therefore assume to be ad0)
2. installed FBSD on you 160GB drive (still ad0)
3. newfs'd your 60GB drive ( ad1)

Euuuh, where is your data ????

Anyway, I hope this might have cleared things up, if not try :

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

Good luck,

Ruben