RocketRaid 454 in FreeBSD 5.4?

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 19:39:11 GMT 2005

On 8/7/05, Joachim Dagerot <jd at dagerot.com> wrote:

> My freeBSD 5.3 system supports HighPoint RocketRaid 454 flawless, using Highpoints own driver.
>
> The freeBSD 5.4 panics if I load Highpoints driver (marked for version 5.3) and without loading it it simply doesn't identify it as a single unit.

Does it show up as da0? when the driver is loaded or device ar0?

> I can't find support for the RocketRaid 454 in the hardware notes for freeBSD 5.4, is this device being left out?

Yes. Only the 182x (and maybe 181x) SATA RAID cards are supported
natively with FreeBSD... not including ata supported highpoint cards
like the RockerRAID 100 that show up as device ar. You could try the
mkIII patches (now part of FreeBSD 6) and see if that works... I had
to do that to get one of my RAID cards to work... here's an install
script I made to apply the patches, cvsup your src first:

test -d /tmp/mk3n-releng5 && cd /tmp/mk3n-releng5 || mkdir
/tmp/mk3n-releng5 && cd /tmp/mk3n-releng5
test -e ata-mk3n-releng5.tar.gz || fetch
http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ATA/ata-mk3n-releng5.tar.gz
test -e ata-mk3n.diff-releng5.gz || fetch
http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ATA/ata-mk3n.diff-releng5.gz
rm -r /usr/src/sys/dev/ata
cd /usr/src
tar -zxf /tmp/mk3n-releng5/ata-mk3n-releng5.tar.gz
gunzip -c /tmp/mk3n-releng5/ata-mk3n.diff-releng5.gz | patch -s && echo "done"

and then do a buildworld / kernel. Gmail btw wraped the first 3 lines
of that script.

If that does not work you will need to talk to highpoint for a driver
update, ask them if they can do an openbuild like they did for the
182x so that the FreeBSD team can build a native driver etc., send
them a backtrace of the kernel panic too.