cupsd broken child

Graham North northg at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 7 17:33:08 GMT 2005

Hello again:

I recently installed CUPS on a 4.11 webserver.   After a few problems
everything got sorted and ran fine for a couple days.
Yesterday I set an alias for lp and everything seems to have broken.  To
ease text file formatting I set:

alias lp='lp -o page-left=15 -o page-top=15'

This was done to make text file printout more pretty as the default put
the borders hard at the edge of the paper.  When entered at the command
line,  the above options work well.  (this is the cups lp daemon).

Not only did the alias not work but now something seems to really be
broken.   I have tried unalias to fix it, have rebooted etc....
On reboot now,  dmesg gives output:

cupsd" child exited with status 2!  (exclamation provided courtesy bsd)
cups: unable to start scheduler

Trying to start manually from cups.sh gives me the same message.
dmesg does not indicate problems with parallel port ppc0 or lpt0.

Can anyone help me to figure out what might have happened and how to fix?
Thanks,  Graham/

--
Kindness can be infectious - try it.

Graham North