AMD64 vs. i386

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Sat Aug 6 21:30:37 GMT 2005

On Saturday 06 August 2005 21:37, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Joseph Sniderman wrote:
> >Can I install the i386 version of FreeBSD on an AMD64(athelon64) based
> > computer?
>
>     Yes, but what what libs and programs you may install that are i386
> based as opposed to 64-bit. You can seriously 'screw' up your system by
> having several programs be unrunnable if you mix and match 32-bit stuff
> with 64-bit stuff too much.

You only need to mix 32-bit and 64-bit software when you are running the AMD64
version.  This is because some binaries are 32-bit only and some ports only
work for 32-bit.

The AMD64 version has optional compatibility with 32-bit i386 software. AFAIK
there is no such compatibility the other way around.