how to deinstall the gnome2-lite port from my system completely?

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Sat Aug 6 20:43:26 GMT 2005

On Saturday 06 August 2005 15:38, richard cinema wrote:
> at first, i try to do a " make deinstall" under
> /usr/ports/x11/gnome2-lite . no error occured
> except i found all the gnome stuff stay there when i run "pkg_info"
> then.   it seems the port did nothing with my "make deinstall"
> command.

gnome2-lite is a meta-port, it consists of nothing but dependencies, and
deinstalling a port does not delete dependencies.

> anybody can help me to figure out a proper solution to this problem?
>
> btw: i know a "silly and slow" way: use "pkg_delete -f " to delete all
> the gnome2 and gtk2 packages manually. well, it make me feel like a
> type machine:)

A number of those ports will actually be needed by non-gnome ports anyway.

You can reinstall  gnome2-lite and  run

   pkg_deinstall -Ri  gnome2-lite

this will interactively delete the metaport and it's dependencies.  If you
choose to  delete a dependency that is still required it will just fail to
delete.

sysutils/pkg_cutleaves is another way of handling this, and doing a general
clean-up