Process states lpd

Graham North northg at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 6 19:49:28 GMT 2005

Can someone tell me whether an idling freebsd machine should be running
two (2) lpd daemons?   Both are running under root and one is running in
"nanslp" the other "select".

This is something I just noticed after installig CUPS.   That exercise
was a bit of ordeal and finally with some help from the author of a
great "how to" article I succeeded in making almost everything work.
(except the web interface to administration and documentation).

One point of note, in this process CUPS inserts its own lpd in a
different directory from BSD normal directory, as a result, it is
necessary to remove the original lpd and create a symlink to the new
one.   Could this result in an extra process?

BTW the sizes of the two processes differ also, one is 1036K and the
other 980K - hmmm...?

Graham North
Vancouver, Canada.

--