After Partitioning a Drive: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request)

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Sat Aug 6 19:13:36 GMT 2005

Daniel Gerzo wrote:
> Hello Wesley,
>
> Saturday, August 6, 2005, 8:51:19 PM, you typed:
>

>>>ad1: 76344MB <MAXTOR 6L080J4/A93.0500> [155112/16/63] at ata0-slave UDMA133
>

>>Do the errors go away if you switch the disk (in BIOS, and what are the
>>BIOS settings for this drive right now?) to PIO mode?
>

> or try to decrease it's speed with atacontrol to, let's say, UDMA66.

Thanks for the replies.

After decreasing to UDMA66, the errors went away (at least from what I
saw). I didn't let it run all the way through obviously, but when it was
in UDMA133 mode the errors came on the second I started.

I haven't tried PIO yet since UDMA66 worked. Wesley, I'm not sure what
info you wanted from the BIOS. It's the primary IDE channel slave (the
80GB).

What could this mean?

-Mark