audio -> mp3 kaudiocreator replacement

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Sat Aug 6 16:35:25 GMT 2005

dick hoogendijk <dick at nagual.st> wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:43:21 +0200
> dick hoogendijk <dick at nagual.st> wrote:
>
> > I once used kaudiocreator to rip some CD's and convert them to MP3
> > files.
> > Another approach would be a really good script to rip/encode CD's.
> > Suggestions?
>
> Someone mailed me a suggestion: GRIP.
> I installed it and I must say, it works very nice.
>
> I have ONE big qustion about ripping/encoding in FreeBSD though: SPEED.
>
> Today I ripped + encoded the same CD in windows/musicmatch. The
> rip/encoding (simultaniously) had a 18,2x speed! It went very very
> fast. The whole CD was ready (ripped/encoded; mp3,224b,cbr,lame) in
> less then three minutes.
>
> GRIP rips with a 4.4x speed and also has to encode the track after
> that. Much much slower.. All on the same hardware :-/
>
> Does anybody has some suggestions how I can speed up the process of
> ripping / encoding. It should be possible to gain speed in FreeBSD too
> I guess. Or is musicmatch really such a speed monster.?

No, I guess Musicmatch is just a low quality monster which doesn't check
c2 error pointers while reading. It will work most of the time, but if you try
to rip a scratched disc, you probably will get false data without noticing it.

I don't know GRIP, but perhaps it cares about quality and is therefore a
bit slower.

You could try cdda2wav with the paranoia option to see how fast your
drive can rip without producing garbage.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/