5.4-release install problem

Darryl Hoar darryl at osborne-ind.com
Thu Aug 4 15:13:40 GMT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org]On Behalf Of Bryan Maynard
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 4:39 AM
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: 5.4-release install problem

On Thursday 04 August 2005 02:33 pm, Darryl Hoar wrote:
>Greetings,
>I downloaded the 5.4-release iso images from the freebsd website.
>I used my windows machine and Nero to burn the iso images to
>cd's.
>
>I have an old machine that I am trying to install 5.4-release on.
>It is a PII 333, SCSI with 30GB scsi hard drive.
>
>I place cd 1 in the drive (disk 1 iso) and reboot the machine.
>When it boots, it looks to the cdrom drive as the first boot device.
>When it does, my screen is full of scrolling text which looks like
>dump info.  It scrolls on and on.

If the text starts grey, then switches to white, then turns grey again
that's FreeBSD booting. After a little bit sysinstall should load.
sysinstall is the utility used to install FreeBSD.

>Any ideas on the problem ?

So far it doesn't sound like anything is wrong. Have you read the
handbook at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html ?

>thanks,
>Darryl

Bryan
<snip>

Well,
I went and tried to look at the scrolling text.  It had several columsn
with "in" "err" "ef1" "cip".  Their is a line that says:
BTX Halted.
ss:esp=

I'm pretty sure this is not the normal boot process.  I'll look at the
handbook as suggested.

-Darryl